Gardiners Park, Lochgelly
FROM FIFE TO PITTODRIE - This Lochgelly Albert pair have been closely watched by senior clubs of late. William Bain (left), inside-right, has been provisionally signed by Aberdeen, and it is quite likely that David Duncan, outside-left, will go with him to Pittodrie. The Evening Telegraph and Post, Thursday, 19 January 1939, 8.
Bob Purvis Enclosure
Lochgelly Albert came into existence in the mid 1920s when a "Tea Team" was formed. The title “Tea Team” came about, as it was the duty of the home team to provide tea, and act as hosts for the visiting teams, at a social evening which followed the various friendly matches.
There are a couple of theories as to how the team adopted the name “Albert”.
The first theory is that the club took its name from Queen Victoria’s husband, the Prince Albert, and this theory is supported by the fact that clubs original colours of Gold and Black, were the same as the Royal Livery was, at the time of Prince Albert's death.
The length of time between the Prince Albert's death in 1861, and the setting up of the club in 1926, as an amateur club, makes this theory unlikely.
The second theory and the one that is the most respected, is that the club took its name from the town of Albert, which was involved in the battle of the Somme, during the Great War of 1914-1918.
It is well known that more than a few men from the town of Lochgelly, and the surrounding areas, not only fought, but perished, during this battle. It is reported that many of the soldiers found themselves fighting in or near the town of Albert, in northern France.
Some of the men, not only played football before the war, but after hostilities had ceased, set about founding a local team in Lochgelly. This may have been done to try and replace the local senior team Lochgelly United, who had disbanded just before the outbreak of the war.
Lochgelly Albert's first game as a Junior team, was on the 29th July 1933, when they played Kirkford Juniors, at Beathview Park, Cowdenbeath. This resulted in a 1- 0 victory to the Albert. The goal being scored in the 88th minute, by Pat Finnerty.
The Club’s first trophy was won in season 1934/35, this was the Fife Cup, and the Albert were victorious over Rosslyn Juniors, at Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy, the current home of Raith Rovers. The final score being Lochgelly Albert 2; Rosslyn Juniors 0.
The Albert’s first real local derby match was played on the 29th July 1935, when they played against Lochgelly Violet, at Gardiners Park. The outcome of this game was a 2- 0 victory for the Albert, and the game was watched by over 2,000 spectators.
The record crowd for a Lochgelly Albert match at Gardiners Park, was in the season 1947- 48 for a Scottish Cup 6th round tie against Bo'ness United, when 11,645 spectators were in attendance. This is still a crowd record for a Fife Junior Ground.
Fife League Champions 1937/38, 1946/47, 1948/49, 1954/55, 1973/74
Dryburgh Cup Winners 1975/76
Tennants Cup Winners 1973/74
National Dryburgh Cup Winners 1973/74
Fife and Lothians Cup Winners 1937/38
Fife Cup Winners 1934/35, 1940/41, 1953/54, 1956/57, 1957/58, 1977/78
West Fife Cup Winners 1934/35, 1936/37, 1955/56, 1971/72
Cowdenbeath Cup Winners 1946/47, 1953/54, 1954/55, 1977/78
Mitchell Cup Winners 1949/50, 1957/58
Express Cup Winners 1959/60
Beckett Cup Winners 1992/93
Record Attendance at Gardiners Park
13 March 1948, 11,645 vs Bo’ness United in Scottish Junior Cup.